I grew up in an Italian household so to say I eat and breathe food is an understatement. I am the true definition of the word “foodie”. My favorite food is of course Italian, stemming mainly from Southern Italy, which is where my Papa grew up. Southern Italy is absolutely beautiful and if you are lucky enough to get the chance to visit, then here is my must have food list for you.
1. Margherita Pizza- Italy is known for their pizza, but the one place that is known to serve the absolute best is the City of Napoli (aka Naples). The Pizza Margherita is the most popular, and is baked in a wood-fired oven and topped with marinara, fresh mozzarella di bufala (water buffalo milk mozzarella), and fresh basil leaves. You may find a lot of pizzas with this name here in the U.S, but I can tell you right now they don’t taste anything like they do here in Naples.
2. Pasta with Seafood- Along the coast, seafood plays a major role in the diet, with favorites including mussels, octopus, swordfish, and clams. One of my favorite dishes is pasta with seafood. This dish includes marinara sauce, mussels, octopus, clams, and sometimes swordfish as well.
3. Pasta with Eggplant- Eggplant is another Southern Italy staple, and is amazing served in pasta. My favorite way to have it is in marinara sauce with smoked mozzarella.
4. Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce- The volcanic soils of Southern Italy are known for growing some of the best produce, especially tomatoes. Olive Oil is also made very well here so when you put the two together you pretty much make a masterpiece. This dish may sound very plain and simple, but believe me the taste is out of this world.
5. Gelato- OK, so I know you can find this anywhere in Italy, but I cannot leave it out of my post! Gelato is my absolute favorite thing to eat while I visit Italy, and I always try to lose 5 pounds before going just because I know I’ll gain it back in gelato! Gelaterias in Italy seem to have any flavor you can think of. My favorites include plain chocolate, bacio (which is made from the chocolate candy), nocciola (hazelnut), and any kind with Kinder Chocolates!
There you have it! My list of must have food to try while in Southern Italy! Hope it made you as hungry as it made me 🙂